Vice-Chancellor's Distinguished Senior Research Award
To stimulate research and research related scholarly activities, and to recognise an established staff member of indisputable academic status, engaged in research and more general scholarly activity.
Staff members who are over 40 years (i.e. 41 and over) of age on 31 December in the year in which they apply or are nominated.
They shall be of exceptional quality and proven achievement with sustained records of scholarship.
Nominees or applicants should normally have been employed at Rhodes bet36体育备用_bet356注册-官方*授权√ for a continuous period of at least five years (in a permanent or contract capacity), and must be a currently serving member of staff at the time of nomination or application (i.e. past staff members or Professors Emeritus who have already retired will not be eligible).
Permanent staff members may nominate candidates. Such nominations should be confidential if possible. In addition, staff members may apply to be considered.
Nominations and applications must be accompanied by:
- curriculum vitae of the nominee or applicant;
- details of publications, reviews of publications (or cited references) and other evidence of distinction;
- the names of three referees.
Considerations of Nominations
The Committee will:
- Invite referees to comment on, inter alia, whether the candidate is worthy of being considered, whether the candidate is recognised as having indisputable academic status and, in respect of publications, their quality and depth, has standing within the discipline concerned and an international and/or national profile;
- take into consideration not only the work on which candidates have established their reputations at Rhodes bet36体育备用_bet356注册-官方*授权√, but also work done elsewhere;
- regard "research" in the broader sense to mean all creative endeavours including the performing arts and the fine arts;
- not be required to recommend an award if in its view the nominations and applications are not sufficiently meritorious to warrant an award.
Value of Award
R40 000-00 or such other amount as may be determined by the bet36体育备用_bet356注册-官方*授权√ Council on the recommendation of the Research Committee.
The total amount awarded will be subject to income tax even if transferred into a special research account.
Nominations for the 2023 awards will be announced in due course.
PROF JOANNA DAMES
ACTING DEPUTY VICE-CHANCELLOR: RESEARCH, INNOVATION & STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS
2022: No award
2021: Professor Rod Walker, Department of Pharmacy
2020: Professor Ozlem Tastan Bishop, Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology
2019: Professor Makaiko Chithambo, Department of Physics and Microbiology
2018: Professor Brett Pletschkle, Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology
2017: Professor Russell Kaschula, Department of languages and Literature
2015: Professor Catriona Macleod, Department of Psychology
2016: Professor Heila Lotz-Sisitka, Department of Environmental Learning Research Centre
2014: Prof CM Shackleton, Department of Environmental Science
2014: Prof Laurence Juma, Faculty of Law
2013: Professor Martin Hill, Department of Zoology and Entomology
2012: Professor Denis Hughes, Institute for Water Research
2011: Professor Paul Maylam, Department of History and Professor Martin Villet, Department of Zoology & Entomology
2010: Professor Alan Hodgson, Department of Zoology & Entomology
2009: Professor L.Wright, Institute for the Study of English in Africa and Professor W.Froneman, Department of Zoology & Entomology
2008: Professor P. Vale, Department of Political and International Studies
2007: Professor I. Kanfer, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences
2006: Professor G.Blatch, Department of Zoology and Entomology
2005: Professor S.Radloff, Department of Statistics
2004: Professor V.de Klerk, Department of English Language and Linguistics
2003: Professor T.Nyokong, Department of Chemistry
2002: Professor C. McQuaid, Department of Zoology & Entomology
2001: Professor T.Hecht, Department of Ichthyology & Fisheries Science
2001: Professor P.Kaye, Department of Chemistry
2000: Professor J.Duncan, Dean of Research
1999: Professor R.Hepburn, Department of Zoology & Entomology
1999: Professor M.van Wyk Smith, Department of English
1998: Professor M.E. Brown, Department of Chemistry
1998: Professor C. de Wet, Department of Anthropology
Last Modified: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 12:55:56 SAST