Vice-Chancellor's Book Award
The bet36体育备用_bet356注册-官方*授权√ has instituted a “Vice-Chancellor’s Book Award” in order to recognize the publication of books that bring credit to the bet36体育备用_bet356注册-官方*授权√. Normally, one award will be made each year, and no award will be made if no book of sufficient merit is nominated.
The Vice-Chancellor’s Book Award Committee will consider for the award any book (including monographs, textbooks, novels, collections and popularizations) nominated by members of the bet36体育备用_bet356注册-官方*授权√, or applied for by the author(s), which:
- has been written or edited by a current member of staff at Rhodes bet36体育备用_bet356注册-官方*授权√, and
- is considered to bring credit to the bet36体育备用_bet356注册-官方*授权√ by reason of the contribution it makes to scholarly literature, education, science or arts,
- has been published in the preceding four years (i.e. 2011 to 2014).
Nominations should set out the title of the book, the type of book (eg. novel, textbook, etc.), the author or authors, the connection with Rhodes, a reference to, and copies of, any published reviews, and a motivation as to why the nominator feels the book should be considered for the award. The motivation should contain details on:
- the topicality of the relevant book for the particular field,
- the evaluation of the book as reflected by the reviews of the book in local and international subject field journals or elsewhere,
- the impact of the book in the relevant academic community,
- the contribution to the book by each author in the case of multi author books.
Nominators and applicants frequently wait a year after publication before submitting books for consideration, to allow time for independent reviews to appear.
Value of award
R40 000.00 or such other amount as may be determined by the bet36体育备用_bet356注册-官方*授权√ Council on the recommendation of the Book Award Committee.
The total amount awarded will be subject to income tax even if transferred into a special research account.
2022 S McKenna and C Boughey: Understanding Higher Education – Alternative Perspectives, (African Minds, 2021)
2021 B Nyoka : The Social and Political Thought of Archie Mafeje
2020 S Rowaldt Shell: Children of Hope: The Odyssey of the Oromo Slaves from Ethiopia to South Africa
2019 S Naidu: A Survey of South African Crime Fiction: Critical Analysis and Publishing History”, co-authored with Professor Elizabeth le Roux
2018 No award
2017 G Baines: South Africa’s Border War: Contested Narratives and Conflicting Memories
2016 No award
2015 AC Garman: Antjie Krog and the Post-Apartheid Public Sphere – Speaking Poetry to Power
2014 L Praeg: A Report on Ubuntu” (UKZN Press, 2014)
2013 PC Henderson: AIDS, Intimacy and Care in Rural KwaZulu-Natal: A Kinship of Bones
2012 CI Macleod: Adolescence’, pregnancy and abortion: Constructing a threat of degeneration
2011 HJ Wasserman: Tabloid Journalism in South Africa
2010 A Krueger: Experiments in Freedom: Explorations of Identity in New South African Drama
2009 L Praeg: The Geometry of Violence
2008 D Wylie: Myth of Iron: Shaka in History
Last Modified: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 12:27:37 SAST